Friday, December 28, 2012

Another Year

There's a song by K's Choice which I am reminded of at the moment.  Although the song isn't actually about the passing of time, the chorus ends with the words, "Another year goes by."  This is the first time since about this time last year that I've had the luxury of a few days to sit and reflect.  And, as I've done for many years before, I'll shortly start my list of resolutions, many to be broken, and a handful to be achieved.  But, at this moment, the chorus rings very true for me, and I realize that I've lived through another year.  There's this funny thing about time - it passes without you really intending it to, and before you know it, lots of time has passed, and you've filled it with an ordinary life.  I'm tempted to preach about the dangers of ordinary life, but I'd be preaching as much to myself as to anyone else.

But as I sit and think back across time, I realize my failure at blogging has made me miss out on documenting some of the really great stuff that has happened in the last year or two.  It might seem that since coming back from London, life has become mundane.  I won't deny that to some degree, it has, because there's not the same sense of adventure, the sense of exploration in a world and a land where everything is new.  On the other hand, we've not been still.  The kids continue to grow and change and are slowly becoming adults, step by step.  Somebody reminded me just the other day that my oldest will be 16 in only three and a half years.  We've explored, and we've had a great time learning more about the stuff that is closest to us.  There's a lot more neat places here than I previously realized.  There's been ups and downs, and I've just been neglectful at posting about them.

I won't even begin to try to recap the past two years - there's far too much to cover, and I'm afraid I'd miss some vital piece of the story.  And that's kind of the point, that life, however lived, will tell a story.  Here's to beginning next year and living out a story of greatness.

No comments: