Saturday, August 8, 2009

Social Networking and Strange Cats

It's now 10 pm on a Friday, and I feel like this is the first time all week that I've had a chance to sit. My week started around 3 am on Monday morning when I had to get up to catch a flight to New York. I spent the night there, and then flew back the following day, getting back home after 10 on Tuesday. Wednesday morning I had a 7:30 meeting, so another early start, followed by a visit with friends that evening, and getting home to pack for departure for Atlanta on Thursday morning. I got back from Atlanta today, and just got home - so it's been a rough week.

That being said, there's been several things that I have wanted to say something about for most of the week, although combining them into a single cohesive post might be a bit of a challenge.

I guess one of the foremost things that I wanted to say something about is my somewhat reluctant and belated entry into the weird and wonderful world of social networking. This is certainly one of the more interesting developments in the electronic sphere, although it also has its own share of unusual conundrums. For example, I am now "friends" with people I haven't seen or spoken to in nearly two decades. I just find these things interesting to say the least.

I also wanted to mention our absolutely bizarre cat, Lily. As I discussed previously, we have adopted two cats, Max and Lily. Lily is the more active of the two, and is the one that fell off the stairs the other night (this bothered Mich immensely - me, not at all, which made me come to the conclusion that I REALLY am not a cat person). Lily has the typical annoying cat trait of coming to lie on our bed in the middle of the night, and then suddenly and without warning pouncing on your feet, or whatever body part she happens to be closest to at that point in time. Allow me to pause here to state that my comments on this blog are really only attributable to me alone, and my general vindictiveness towards cats is not at all indicative of the way that Mich feels about Lily, or any other cat. Now, going on... I suppose that although I am not particularly fond of having my feet chewed on at 3 am in the morning, or indeed, any other time for that matter, but I can accept that this is something, that for whatever reason, cats like to do, and therefore, when I agreed that the kids could have a cat, I implicitly agreed that I would tolerate such behaviour. However, Lily has the added strange habit of trying to suck on whatever body part is exposed - whether that be your nose, chin, hand. She is also a loud purring machine. I also accept that cats purr, however, Lily will actually begin purring almost in anticipation of being petted, or of whatever other happy thing she is thinking about. So, putting all of these things together, you get a cat that jumps on the bed in the middle of the night, starts purring loudly before beginning to try to suck on your face (she makes little slurping sounds as she does this, by the way - and somehow is able to suck and purr simultaneously), and then lying down momentarily before attacking your feet. I mean, I know that Chloe is odd, but this is one seriously strange cat.

I also wanted to talk about travel in general - but at this point I'm fading fast, so will bid you all a good night, and will try to catch up again sometime later.

No comments: