Friday, July 3, 2009

A Long Awaited Update

If you've been following the blog for any amount of time, and trying to check in recently, you will have noticed a certain dearth of blogging activity. This may have lead you to consider that perhaps we have fallen off the face of the earth, or been crushed by some terrible catastrophe. Rest assured, dear reader, that neither of these is the case, and the lack of blogging entries may simply be put to my own laziness, and life occurring in the background.

Since it has been so long since I last posted, and I've posted so infrequently since we returned, I thought I might go back and recap the events of the last few months. As you may recall, we returned to America on April 24th, which was two years to the day from when I left. The following week was spent in trying to get our utilities set up for our house, a little car shopping, general unpacking, sending the kids back to school... you get the idea. Of course, there was intermingled with all this the visits with family and friends.

A couple of weeks on, the unpacking had hit what seems to be a brick wall - we STILL have boxes, and I seriously do not want to be sitting here in two months saying they are still there. We've got to take care of them, but other things keep coming up to take up our time - like work, for example. Anyway, we had pool memberships, so the kids took swimming lessons at the pool, Dalton and I went fishing (and yes, I realise I still owe everyone photos... give me time!!!), and the kids adopted two new pets, Sammy and Glowie. Sammy and Glowie are betta fish, and maybe when I get to putting the photos on here, there just might be a couple of pictures of them as well. Sammy is Dalton's and is, of course, orange - orange being his favorite color, while Maggie's Glowie is purple.

The intervening time between then and now has been filled with typical life stuff. Mich and the kids go to the pool often, I go to work, and we usually visit with friends and family on the weekends, although I did manage to spend a fair amount of time in the yard this past weekend. Maggie had a friend over to spend the night, so we had our second sleepover, and then she had my sister over to spend the night. The girls were about the same as the boys in terms of general excitedness, and lack of sleeping, although certainly more "squeally". (Not my sister, though. It would be hard to think of a word that less describes my sister than "squeally".

My grandmother came down from Arkansas to visit, and we went out to my parents house to see her. My parents had some 4 -5 week old kittens, and somehow, we ended up going back the following day to get another set of pets - this time, Max, Dalton's kitten, and Lily, Maggie's kitten. They're still in the silly kitten phase, so it's fun to sit and watch them run around. Chloe, the existing cat, has not been at all pleased with this development, and has become even more ornery, if such a thing is possible.

I only just realised yesterday that this will be our first Independence Day in the States in two years - which will be a new experience for us, and one which I'm looking forward to. Perhaps more on that afterwards. Hopefully, that's enough of an update to keep anyone satisfied for the time being, and I promise to try to be more timely in the future.

No comments: