Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Swimming Lessons, Sunburns, and Cinema - Oh My!!!

In one sense, our integration back into the States is going well - we are definitely not lacking for things to do. On the other hand, there is still the feeling at times that it's all a bit overwhelming. This past week, I think, is a reasonable example. I'm not sure that we managed any progress on the house front (and may have even backslidden a bit). Of course, a large part of that is due to the fact that Dalton and Maggie were getting swimming lessons during the week, which pretty much excluded the possibility of doing anything else in the mornings. That being said, they did well, and I think they are much better swimmers now than they were before this past week.

Mich had a couple of girls' nights out, visiting friends and going to see Mamma Mia at the Alabama. Over the weekend, I took the kids to their final swimming lesson and then we went to visit my brother and went fishing, where Dalton caught his first fish (a bream, for those of you interested - I'll try to get a picture up when I get a moment). I managed, as is par for the course, to get seriously sunburned, which has been something that has been lacking in the past couple of years. We also popped out for the Alabama Theatre open house on Sunday. For anyone not familiar with the Alabama, it's a movie house which was opened in 1927 - one of the old gloriously decorated cinemas. It's been seriously renovated since I first started visiting on a regular basis - they've cleaned everywhere, put in new seats, and now it looks truly amazing (again, I'll get some pictures up in a bit). The same group that renovated the Alabama is now trying to renovate the Lyric (which was also open over the weekend). The Lyric was originally a vaudeville house, and if they can get it renovated, it also looks like it will be quite impressive, although they've got some work to do. Mich also got some pictures of the Lyric, so those will be up along with the rest.

No comments: